PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
criddell
I have an example of Cook Islands sg 1 cancelled 'Registered Palmerston 2 SP 92' in oval. I do not have any Cook islands Literature apart from old Auction Cataloges of well known collections from which I cannot trace any listing of this cancel. Could it be bogus?
2012-02-02 12:57
lbootman
Difficult to tell one way or the other. I suppose the cancel may even have been applied in Palmerston NZ. Palmerston Island sounds an interesting place though (see http://www.cookislands.org.uk/palmerston.html for background) although not the sort of place likely to have much call for a post office in the 1890's.
2012-02-03 10:02
rpopper
I think you have a Fournier forgery. See stamps of New Zealand Vol. V p.333 which states "Fournier forgeries of the first Cook Islands are known with a forged oval cancel reading Registered above, Palmerston below, and the date 2 Sp 92 in the centre as illustrated above" .
2012-04-09 02:27
criddell
Yes, I am now certain that it is a Fournier forgery. The current' for sale' web site of William Carson NZ illustrates an almost identical stamp and describes it as a Fournier forgery.
2012-04-09 14:32
icon