PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
jmulik
I have come across the Gilbert Islands stamp in the attached file, but I am unable to read which island the postmark is from. The first four letters appear to be PEKA... or FEKA ... or ??? However, Vernon indicated that Type 1 was only used on Butaritari, Funafuti, Tarawa, and Union Group (Atafu) - and none of these four appear to be a match for what is on the stamp.

Can anyone help identify the island name? The original stamp photo is on the left in the attached .pdf file. In the middle and right hand side photos, I have used a computer to alter the color of the stamp - in hopes of making the postmark more readable.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
2013-12-28 04:53
rpopper
It looks like Funafuti to me.
2013-12-30 04:50
jmulik
Thank you for your reply. I have looked at several other Funafuti marks of this type, and this one does look a bit like those. Perhaps the rubber on the canceling device was worn and the U and N became a bit distorted.
2014-01-02 00:44
icon