PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
jray
Five new overprints were released in August 2010, as follows: 1c, 2c 3c, 4c and 5c, all on 23c and all with xxx obliterating (almost) the original value. The height of the Numerals is 2.5mm and the height of the letters is 2mm, and there is a 3mm gap between the c and the first x. This is different from previous settings, where the gap has been either 4mm or 5mm. I say "almost" because the narrowness of the gap means that the obliteration of the 23c starts too far to the left. I attach an illustration of the 1c overprint.
2010-09-13 11:49
lbootman
These stamps are being printed on a different machine to the 2006 - 2009 releases. All the old overprint settings were scrapped, maybe because those settings were tied in to the old machine or maybe because of a resolve not to issue any more overprints (other than 5c and 20c). As Andy from Hamilton pointed out to me, it stands to reason that the ongoing 20c overprints will be printed on the new machine too so they are a new stamp too. I'm not sure how they differ from the old ones (if at all). The old machine produced some wicked slewed 20c on 23c overprints before they decided enough was enough and postponed further overprinting pending the new machine coming on stream.

The 1c to 5c all seem to have been produced from one setting as the minor positioning variations throughout the sheet are consistent through all 5 values. The printer has probably set up one denomination and then used something like the find and replace function on a word processor to change the denomination as desired.
2010-10-23 07:39
gcrawford
Since this seems to be the spot to talk about the overprint series - and speaking of the infamous 20c on 23c skews......

Does anyone have an idea of how many sheets we're talking about with the skew? I can certainly identify two for 100% sure because I've got ones with different plate numbers. Looking at the others I have, I would guess at least 5 sheets from what I've got. But are we talking 10-20 sheets here? 50-100? 1000+?
2011-01-07 15:42
jray
I'm sorry to be so slow in responding. I suspect that there are quite a few sheets, because the sheer carelessness of the overprinting (as evidenced by the many instances of double/inverted/double and inverted etc examples) would indicate that. How many, however, is anyone's guess.
2011-05-11 20:22
lbootman
I suspect that the problem which led to these skewed sheets was not due so much to carelessness on the part of the operator but more to the fact that the printing machine was in a really bad way. Such a bad way that it had to be replaced in fact.

I'm not sure anyone will ever really know how many skewed sheets there were, but toward the end of the old machine's life span almost all the sheets were skewed to some extent. The skewed overprints were still distributed to the post offices and used for postage all the same.

I've seen pictures of some interesting stamps resulting from this including one where the overprint reads "xxx 20c" instead of "20c xxx".

My very best wishes to one and all.
2011-05-16 20:27
mgreen
G'day and Bula to all Fiji collectors,
This Overprint Series certainly does provide a vast array of interesting discussion points.
For those interested in the Overprint Series I've just completed my latest FijiStamps.INFO Newsletter for 2013 (http://fijistamps.info/news/2013/13n2.html), where amongst a number of items I talk about is a brief article on the misalignment and underinking challenges of the Fiji Printers.
Please take a look, and feel free to go the http://FijiStamps.INFO site and Register for future Newsletters.
Vinaka
Matt
2013-07-22 11:38
icon