PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
lbootman
Greetings.

I had an envelope that I'd sent from the UK to an address in Suva returned to me by the recipient.

It had the following rubber stamp applied to the reverse. The impression is 85mm long x 17mm high (approx).

I had used Sellotape to seal the envelope.
2012-06-29 07:14
jray
I have seen a similar marking. Was your cover sent by registered or "signed for" post? If so, it may just be that Post Fiji is protecting itself against any possible allegation that the cover had been tampered with after arrival in Fiji.

John Ray
2012-07-14 20:59
lbootman
Hello,

It is odd, I was looking though some papers last night and that cover nearly went into the recycling! The cover was sent by ordinary airmail. I agree that it would make sense if they used that cachet for incoming registered covers.

It is interesting, given that all Fiji addresses seem to be P O Box numbers, that Royal Mail "International Signed For" is not available to PO boxes. See: http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-international/international-signed/details

So, it is no longer possible to send what used to be termed "Registered" mail to Fiji from the UK anymore.

I wonder if this breaches some UPU regulation?
2012-07-17 13:15
jray
That's a good point about PO boxes; I don't see how a box holder could actually be made to sign for an item without a lot of bureaucracy. There is also a problem with items, e.g. parcels, which are too large to fit the box. A notice is sent to the addressee and he/she has to go to an office to collect the item (and pay a handling charge). This could presumably also be done for "signed for" items if they wanted to.
2012-08-06 07:30
lbootman
I think that for incoming registered mail the recipients do get a note in their P O Box to say that a registered item has been received.

Last time I heard there was a FJD $3 charge levied on incoming parcels and small packets, I don't know if this applies to registered mail though.
2012-08-06 10:19
icon