PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
lbootman
In the 2013 Scott C-F catalog under #1191A (the 1c on 23c with XX type overprint and 4mm spacing between "1c" and "XX") the catalog states that the stamp exists with inverted overprint.

I'm not sure that is correct and wondered if anyone had ever seen or heard of a 1c on 23c with XX type obliterator and an inverted overprint.

I know that the 1c on 23c with "xxx" as the obliterator exists inverted and wonder if someone has got confused (easily done with there being so many of these overprints).

I would be most grateful for any assistance.
2012-10-10 11:03
jray
All I can say is that I do not have an example of it! An enquiry to Scott about the source of their listing might provide an answer. Their "Valuing and Society Listings" editor is Steve Myers. I have struggled to find an email address for him, without success, but his postal address is Scott Publishing Co., 911 Vandemark Road, Sidney, Ohio 45365-0828.
2012-10-17 08:21
mgreen
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
Would love to hear if anyone has managed to get to the bottom of this enquiry?

Does the 1c on 23c "XX" inverted really exist?

Cheers
Matt
http://www.FijiStamps.info
2012-12-30 12:22
lbootman
Hi Matt,

Up to now there seems no evidence to suggest it does. However, it is quite possible if only one sheet was printed (and nobody noticed) that varieties such as this could have been sent to an outlying post office and used for postage. It would be more of a surprise to me if unreported varieties were not found by a fortunate collector sometime in the years to come than if they were.

Philatelic awareness in Fiji is minimal, as witnessed by some of John Ray's experiences whilst he was visiting the Islands.
2013-01-10 11:07
jray
I will be in Suva again in May for about a week and I hope to visit a few POs in the surrounding area. Maybe I will strike lucky?

Cheers,
John
2013-02-07 08:25
lbootman
I've come across this example - which seems to show a 5mm gap. That would indicate that the 4mm gap stamp is likely to exist (or have existed) because the 5mm gap overprint matrix included a couple of 4mm gap examples.
2013-08-07 12:16
icon