PISC Discussion Forums

The following discussion forums are available. For any item specific to a territory, please use the PISC Region forums, otherwise use the General discussion forum. New forums for specific topics may be added as and when appropriate. Only PISC Members can post a message, or reply (after logging in). 

icon
flawson
Is there any information available on the postal use of these 1/4d stamps? I note that there were no equivalent value stamps issued during the reigns of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George VI nor Queen Elizabeth II.
flawson
2013-07-06 07:33
lbootman
I've checked the PISC Pacifica archive CD up to 2006 and located an article from Pacifica written in 1982 by Bryan Jones.

It was entitled Fiji : Postal Rates 1940 to date.

In that article Bryan commented that information on Fiji's postal rates from 1875 up to the 1940's does not exist.

The postage rates shown confirm that ¼d stamps would not have been required from 1940 onwards but don't help establish whether there ever was a genuine postal need for them.

Many Colonial era stamp series had high values specifically for revenue use - I wonder if the ¼d was required for revenue purposes at all. It was only 6d values and upwards from the KEVII and KGV "postage and revenue series" that were overprinted with the bar and R making them valid for revenue purposes only.
2013-07-09 15:35
lbootman
Looking again for evidence of a ¼d postal rate I've discovered a picture of ¼d stamp imprint on a wrapper. It is not usage of the stamp in question but it does suggest there was a postal requirement for a ¼d stamp.

It is described as "Fiji 1925 Levuka PSE ¼d Wrapper H&G E1 > Switzerland; Light Cancel; Very SCARCE" and is currently for sale at $150 - link to web page: http://www.compustamp.com/-strse-10016/Fiji-1925-Levuka-PSE/Detail.bok
2013-07-11 22:19
dalford
The ¼d rate was for newspapers (1915) and when the rate was increased by ¼d as a make up value. Ross Duberal's Postal Stationery book has more details.

Regards

David
2013-08-07 15:08
icon